October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. This is a collaborative effort between the government and industry to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity and to ensure that everyone has the resources they need to be safer and more secure online.
This month emphasizes personal accountability and stresses the importance of taking proactive steps to enhance cybersecurity at home and in the workplace. This year’s overarching message –Own IT. Secure IT. Protect IT.– will focus on key areas including citizen privacy, consumer devices, and ecommerce security.
- Own IT.
- Never click and tell by staying safe on social media
- Update privacy settings
- Keep tabs on your apps
- Secure IT.
- Shake up your passphrase protocol by creating strong, unique passphrases
- Double your login protection: turn on multi-factor authentication
- Shop safe online
- Play hard to get with strangers by learning how to spot and avoid phishing tactics.
- Protect IT.
- If you connect, you must protect: Work with your IT team to discuss upgrading to the latest security software, web browser and operating systems
- Stay protected while connected through Wi-Fi safety
- If you collect it, protect it: Keep customer/consumer data and information safe
Each and every one of us needs to do our part to make sure that our online lives are kept safe and secure.